I say this without any hesitation, these are THE BEST vegan doughnuts! I have worked so hard to perfect the vegan doughnut and I am over the moon with my doughnut recipes!
This recipe is perfect for Mothers day which is coming up!
These homemade doughnuts feature a classic fried doughnut (which is 100% vegan obviously), coated in delicious pink strawberry sugar, filled with a seriously delicious strawberry cream cheese filling.
How to get pink sugar?
It’s literally so simple, you’ll want to mix the caster sugar and strawberry powder in a bowl. If you don’t have any freeze-dried strawberry powder but still want the pink sugar, add a tiny drop of pink food gel into the sugar and stir to combine. It won’t have the strawberry flavour but will be super pretty! Don’t add too much food gel though, as it can dye the doughnut pink.
Do you say doughnuts or donuts? Either way, you’re going to LOVE this recipe!
With the taste and flavour of the classic ‘fair ground’ doughnut, and bursting with fruitiness, these doughnuts dont disappoint.
For the core, I made the most scrumptious strawberry cream cheese filling. I whipped dairy-free butter, cream cheese together until light in colour, added in the icing sugar and some tasty strawberry jam and BOOM – the best filling for doughnuts! It’s fruity, creamy and compliments the doughnut beautifully. They make me excited for summer!!
Preparation- 3 + 1/2 hours
Cooking time- 2-3 minutes (Per doughnut)
Makes- Approximately 20 doughnuts
Ingredients for the doughnuts
- 330ml of warm dairy-free milk
- 14g of dry yeast
- 75g of caster sugar
- 600g of self-raising flour
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 100g of dairy-free butter (melted)
- 2 flax eggs (2 tablespoons of ground flax + 6 tablespoons of water)
- Sunflower oil (see step 10 for details)
Ingredients for the pink sugar
- 100g of caster sugar
- 2 tablespoons of freeze dried strawberry powder
- Pink food gel (optional)
Ingredients for the strawberry cream filling
- 60g of dairy-free butter /margarine
- 40g of dairy-free cream cheese
- 2 tablespoons of strawberry jam
- 250g of icing sugar
Method (doughnuts)1. Place the warm dairy-free milk into a bowl and sprinkle over the yeast and sugar, stir, cover with a tea towel then put into a warm place for around 10-15 minutes until frothy.
TIP: To heat the milk, add it into a small saucepan and simmer until it’s warm. If the milk is too hot it can kill the yeast, so make sure its just warm.
2. In a separate bowl, combine the flour & salt and stir.
3. In another separate bowl, add in the flaxseed, melted butter and water, stir to combine and set aside for 10 minutes to thicken. This creates your vegan egg substitute.
4. Combine the dry mixture, yeast mixture and thickened egg substitute into a bowl and stir.
5. Mix with a hand whisk or attach a dough hook to your stand mixer and begin to knead on medium until nice and smooth.
6. Pop the dough into a lightly oiled bowl, cover with a tea towel and place into a warm area (I place mine in my conservatory) and allow to prove for around 2-3 hours or until double in size.
7. Once doubled, turn the dough out onto a floured surface and roll out until around 1/2 inch thick.
8. Using a round/ circle cookie cutter, cut out circles and place onto a lined baking tray.
9. Place the cutout doughnuts back into a warm area covered with a tea towel for around 1 hour until they have doubled in size.
10. Add oil into a deep pan until half – 3/4 full and bring to the boil.
Allow it to come up to 300 degrees. You can use a deep fat fryer.
11. Once the doughnuts have risen, gently lower them into the hot oil and fry for about 2-3 minutes on each side or until puffed and golden brown in colour.
Carefully take them out of the hot oil and place them onto kitchen paper to drain any excess oil.
12. While they are still warm, coat them in pink sugar (optional).
Allow them to cool before filling.
Method (pink sugar)
1. In a small bowl, add in the caster sugar and freeze dried strawberry powder.
If you don’t have any freeze-dried strawberry powder but still want the pink sugar, add a tiny drop of pink food gel into the sugar and stir to combine. It won’t have the strawberry flavour but will be super pretty! Don’t add too much food gel though, as it can dye the doughnut pink.
Method (strawberry cream filling)
1. In a large mixing bowl, add in the dairy-free butter and cream cheese, whip until creamy. I use a stand mixer with a balloon whisk attachment, a hand mixer will work great too.
2. Add in the icing sugar and strawberry jam. Whip on high for a few minutes until incorporated and smooth.
3. Transfer the filling into a piping bag fitted with a round tip nozzle.
4. Poke a hole in the side of the doughnuts and fill each doughnut with some strawberry cream. Add 3 tablespoons of jam into a separate piping bag and pipe some into the doughnut (optional).
Sprinkle some freeze dried strawberries over the doughnuts (optional).
Store in a sealed container for up to 4 days.
Best enjoyed day of making.
Follow me on my social media
The Little Blog Of Veganⓒ All Rights Reserved. 2021