These two toned Vegan Nutella Linzer Cookies are soft, chewy, buttery, sandwiched with a creamy chocolate-hazelnut filling. They’re easy to make, naturally vegan, eggless and filled with the most delicious vegan Nutella Spread. The perfect Valentines cookies to make for your loved ones!
Vegan Nutella Linzer Cookies
If you’re after a fun, quick and easy treat for Valentines day, I have the perfect recipe for you. These chocolaty nutella linzer sandwich cookies are ‘buttery’ soft and melt in your mouth. I love the combination of the buttery biscuit with a chocolate hazelnut filling. The best part is the gorgeous two tone design. It’s made by using the same cookie dough but adding in different amounts of cocoa for a two toned look / effect. I am literally OBSESSED! You’re going to have so much fun making these!
Why you’ll love these Nutella Linzer cookies:
- They are super easy to make.
- Stuffed with chocolate hazelnut spread.
- 100% vegan.
- Can be made gluten-free by using a GF flour blend.
- Fun to make.
- Great as gifts.
- Perfect for Valentines day or Mothers day.
- Only 6 ingredient!!!!
- Take only 10 minutes to bake!!
- Ready in under half an hour!
- Absolutely delicous.
- Light and buttery flavour.
What is a Linzer cookie?
Linzer cookies are two biscuits sandwiched together with a yummy filling. Traditionally they are filled with apricot or strawberry jam. The ‘Linzer’ comes from a city called Linzer, in Austria. This version has been modernised, but has some of the same classic tastes and texture.
These nutella linzer cookies have a chocolaty twist with delicious chocolate biscuits and a chocolate filling. They’re shaped in to hearts using a mini heart cookie cutter and larger heart cookie cutter. It’s a chocoholics dream! They’re scrumptious served with a afternoon tea or coffee!!
Ingredients you’ll need for Nutella Linzer Cookies:
This recipe uses only 6 simple, easy to find ingredients, most of which you may already have in your kitchen / pantry. If not, jot them down on your shopping list for your next shopping trip / grocery run!
- Plain / all purpose flour : You can use all purpose flour or gluten-free plain flour.
- Icing / powdered sugar : To keep the biscuits super light and buttery use powdered sugar!
- Cocoa powder : Use a high quality cocoa for a rich chocolate flavour.
- Dairy-free butter : Use vegan block butter. I recommend using Flora Plant Block, Naturli Vegan Block or Miyoko’s Vegan Butter.
- Dairy-free milk : You can use any dairy-free / vegan milk for this recipe including soya, almond, cashew or oat. It’s used to help make the cookie dough smooth.
- Vegan ‘Nutella’ : Make sure the spread you use is vegan friendly. My favourite is ‘Natures Store Cocoa & Hazelnut Spread’ and Rhythm 108 Swiss Cocoa Hazelnut Spread. Alternatively, you could use a fruity jam or cookie butter spread.
How to make Vegan Nutella Linzer Cookies:
The full written instructions and ingredient measurements are in the recipe card at the bottom of this post. Hit the “jump to recipe” button at the top of this post! Here, we’ll go over a quick brief overview of the steps.
- Make the dough
Mix all of the cookie dough ingredients in a bowl (only half the cocoa) and mix. Divide the mixture in two, add in the remaining cocoa to the dough. You’ll have a dark and lighter coloured dough.
Roll out each dough individually, to around 1 inch thick. Use a mini heart shape cookie cutter, chomp out the shapes and place the alternative colour hearts to the alternative colour dough. You’ll have two separate patterned doughs. Use a large heart shape cookie cutter to chomp out the shapes. Use the mini heart cookie cutter to chomp out the middle of only HALF the cookies.
Bake and allow to cool.
Spread the filling to the base heart cookies then place a cookie with the heart cut out in the on top. Press down to stick. Serve and enjoy!!!