There’s nothing quite like the sight of a vanilla cake, jam-packed with funfetti sprinkles. It takes me right back to being a kid, I love it!
No celebration is complete without a ton of sprinkles, right?
A vegan vanilla sponge, filled with colourful sprinkles, topped with a light and whippy vanilla buttercream frosting and more sprinkles.
Why I love this cake:
- Light and spongy
- A lovely vanilla flaovur
- Loaded with colourful sprinkles
- Topped with sweet buttercream
- Extremely moorish
TIP: I highly recommend recipe testing with vegan sprinkles. Some more ‘natural’ vegan sprinkles can be very pale in colour and won’t show up in the cake when baked.
I would suggest vibrant sprinkles, such as Fancy Sprinkles vegan jimmies.
A question i’m constantly asked, ”How do you get your frositng so white?”
- I get my frosting white by whipping up the butter / cream cheese for around 5-10 minutes before adding anything else in. This way, it creates air and lightens up the ingredients. I don’t know the science behind it, but that’s what works for me! I use my stand mixer with the balloon whisk attachment on high speed to do this. If you dont have a stand mixer, a hand whisk will do just fine, it just may take alittle longer.
Preparation: 2 hours
Baking time: 28-30 minutes
Serves: Approximately 6-8
Ingredients for the cake
-240ml of dairy-free milk
-1 teaspoon of apple cider vinegar
-225g of self-raising flour
-150g of caster sugar
-1/2 teaspoon of baking powder
-1/2 teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda
-60g of vegetable oil or coconut oil (melted)
-45g of vegan sprinkles
Ingredients for the buttercream frosting
-50g of dairy-free cream cheese
-50g of dairy-free butter
-1 teaspoons of vanilla extract
120g of icing sugar
-20g of vegan sprinkles
1. Preheat your oven to 180 degrees c and line an 8-inch cake tin with grease-proof paper.
2. In a bowl, combine the dairy-free milk with the apple cider vinegar and whisk until fully combined.
Set aside for 10 minutes to curdle. This creates a vegan ‘buttermilk’.
3. In a large mixing bowl, sift the flour, sugar, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda. Mix well to combine.
4. Add the oil into the ‘buttermilk’ and whisk to combine.
5. Add the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix.
6. Gently fold in the sprinkles.
Don’t over mix them or they will bleed their colour.
7. Pour the batter into the lined cake tin.
Make sure to tap the tin on the worktop to remove any air bubbles.
8. Pop the cake into the center of the preheated oven and bake for around 28-30 minutes.
You will know it’s done when you put a knife or skewer in and it comes out clean and it is springy to the touch.
9. Place the cake on a cooling rack and allow to cool fully.
Once cool, pop the cake into a sealed container to keep it fresh before frosting.
Method (buttercream frosting)
1. In a bowl/stand mixer, cream the dairy-free cream cheese and butter on high then add in the vanilla extract and icing sugar.
Whip until smooth and combined.
Add in some dairy-free milk if needed.
2. Fold in the vegan sprinkles.
3. Dollop the buttercream frosting on top of the cake and swirl around using a spoon or off-set spatula.
Sprinkle over some more funfetti sprinkles for decoration.
Serve fresh or store in a sealed container in the fridge.
Best eaten within a few days!
Make sure you follow me on my social media