Layers of vanilla wafers with a 2 ingredient chocolate ganache, coated in dairy-free chocolate. You’ll never want another chocolate bar again after these!
Easy, vegan, fun to make and absolutely delicious!
These homemade candy bars take me back to my childhood. Kit Kats were one of my all-time favourite chocolates growing up. I loved having the small wafer bars which crunched in the mouth with a smooth chocolate coating. I had a very specific way of eating them, nibbling the chocolate all around the bar then munching on the wafers. I’m sure I’m not the only one who did this- haha!
What is a Kit Kat?
- Kit Kats are chocolate covered wafer bars. They contain multiple layers of wafers with a chocolate filling, wrapped in chocolate. The original’s are not suitable for vegans, hence why I’ve taken it upon myself to create a vegan version. I do know Nestle are releasing a Vegan Kit Kat very soon so keep an eye out for it in shops! I can’t wait!
These ‘Kit Kats’ contain only 3 ingredients, they’re no bake and you can use your favourite chocolate to help make them. I opted for 70% dark as I personally love dark chocolate but you can use any dairy-free chocolate to make these, including white chocolate!
Looking for more vegan chocolate bar recipes? Look no further:
Where can I find the wafers?
The wafers I used are ice cream wafers that I picked up from Sainsburys.
What dairy-free cream to use?
Any dairy-free cream for this ganache works great, including single cream, double and coconut cream.
Preparation: 5 minutes
Makes: Approximately 8-10 bars (depending on the size)
Chilling time: 20 minutes+
- 1 pack of plain wafers (see notes*)
- 300g of dairy-free chocolate
- 60g of dairy-free cream (see notes*)
1. Open the pack of wafers and using a sharp knife, cut them into long, thin rectangles (as seen in the photos).
2. In a heat proof bowl, add in 120g of dairy-free chocolate and the dairy-free cream. Place the bowl over a saucepan filled 1/2 with water. Place the saucepan on the hob over low/medium heat creating a bain-marie. Allow the chocolate and cream to melt together. This will make the chocolate ganache filling for layering up the Kit Kats.
3. Once the ganache has melted, give it a little stir to combine everything then take off the heat.
4. Lay one wafter down, spread on some of the ganache, then layer up another wafer. Repeat until you have 5 wafers stacked on top of each other. Pop them onto some grease proof paper and set in the freezer for 10 minutes while you melt the chocolate for the coating.
5. Fill a small saucepan 3/4 full with water, creating a bain-marie, place onto the hob over low/ medium heat.
Place the remaining 180g of chocolate into a heatproof bowl. Place the bowl on top of the saucepan and allow to melt.
If you want to temper the chocolate for the coating, check out this amazing tutorial here.
6. One by one, balance the bars on a fork or spatula, and using a spoon, pour the chocolate over the bars, allowing any excess chocolate to drip back into the bowl.
Repeat for all bars. Place them onto grease proof paper and pop into the freezer for 5 minutes or fridge for 20 minutes to allow the chocolate to set.
Drizzle any left over chocolate for decoration. (optional).
Store in a sealed container in the fridge.
Best enjoyed within a few days of making.
Make sure you follow me on my social media
The Little Blog Of Veganⓒ All Rights Reserved. 2021