This quick and easy No Bake, Vegan Chocolate Fridge Cake is indulgent, decadent and takes less than 10 minutes to make!
Chocolate and biscuits mixed together is ultimately going to be the best tasting thing ever, right?
I mean, it’s rich and luxurious chocolate mixed with a crisp digestive biscuits- it’s heaven in my eyes!
Why you need to make this recipe:
- Super easy to make
- Absolutely no baking required
- Vegan friendly
- Can be made gluten-free if you use gluten-free biscuits
- It takes less than 10 minutes to make
- It can be made ahead of time / stored in the fridge until ready to enjoy
- Great for kids to make and get involved with
- Extremely delicious
- Hardly any mess
What’s stopping you? Get in your kitchen and make this super easy, heavenly dessert NOW -haha!
This recipe was inspired by two of my lovely foodie friends, Lucy from Lucy Lentils and Tom, Project Vegan Baking. Definitely check them both out in the links above. They both have some of the most INSANE vegan recipes, i love them!
So, what is a fridge cake?
It’s basically a cake with the base of the recipe being chocolate.
You will make a chocolate / fudgey mixture, stir broken up chunks of biscuit into it, pop it in a tin and chill. When you come to serve it, just slice and dig in! It’s as simple as that!
This recipe contains only 7 ‘easy to find ingredients’. It has a layer of silky smooth (honestly irresistible) chocolate ganache.
This ganache is too easy and only uses dairy-free dark chocolate and cream. You can use ant vegan cream for this – dairy-free double, single, or coconut cream will work perfectly.
What you’ll need to make this recipe
- Grease proof paper
- A wooden spoon / spatula
- 8” loose base / push up round cake tin
- Digestive biscuits
- Dairy-free butter
- Golden syrup
- Dairy-free dark chocolate
- Vanilla extract
- Dairy-free cream
- Knife for slicing
Looking for more chocolatey recipes? Look no further:
What cream to use? When it comes to vegan ganache, any dairy-free cream will work, including dairy-free single, double and coconut cream (just use the thick part of the can of coconut cream).
What vegan block butter to use?
My favourite vegan / dairy-free block butters are ‘Naturli Vegan Block’ or Flora Plant Based Block Butter Alternative (salted or unsalted).
What chocolate to use?
I like to use a 70% or higher dark chocolate for this recipe. I use Callebaut [70. 30.38] 70.5% dark chocolate callets (which are vegan friendly). I also recipe tested this recipe with ‘Nomo Dairy-Free Dark Chocolate’, and it was scrumptious.
How to make this recipe gluten-free?
It’s super simple to make this recipe suitable for those who are gluten intolerant. Use gluten-free biscuits, thats it! My favourite gluten-free biscuits are ‘ASDA’s own Free From Digestive Biscuits’ which are not only vegan, but 100% gluten-free!
Preparation: 5 minutes
Chilling time: Overnight
Ingredients for the base
- 600g of digestive biscuits (plain biscuits)
- 280g of dairy-free butter (see notes*)
- 250g of golden syrup
- 180g of dairy-free dark chocolate
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract (optional)
Ingredients for the chocolate ganache
- 100g of dairy-free dark chocolate
- 80g of dairy-free cream (see notes*)
1. Line a 8’’ loose base / push up cake tin with grease proof paper. You only need to line the base as it slides out easier (if you’re using a loose base tin). Set aside.
2. Roughly break up the digestive biscuits into a bowl. You want them to be 1 / 2 cm. Set aside.
3. Add the dairy-free butter, golden syrup, dark chocolate and vanilla in a heat proof bowl.
Fill a medium sized saucepan 1/4 full with water. Place the saucepan on the hob over low / medium heat, and add the bowl on top. This creates a bain-marie. Allow everything to melt together, stirring with a wooden spoon.
4. Once melted, pour the chocolatey mixture over the broken up biscuits. Stir everything together with a wooden spoon until fully combined and coated.
5. Tip the mixture into the lined tin, pressing it down with a spatula or spoon to compact it. You want it as compact as possible.
6. Place into the fridge for an hour to partly set.
Method (chocolate ganache)
1. Heat the dairy-free cream in a saucepan until its hot.
2. Chop the chocolate into small chunks, place into a heat proof bowl. Pour the hot cream over the top. Allow it to sit for 3 minutes before stirring to a smooth ganache.
3. Remove the cake from the fridge, pour the ganache over the cake. Place back into the fridge, and allow it to set overnight.
4. When it’s fully set, lift / push the cake out of the tin, place on a serving plate, slice and enjoy.
Tip: A useful tip to slicing this fridge cake perfectly, heat a knife in some hot water or a kitchen blow torch before each cut, and wiping after each slice to keep the slices neat.
Store in the fridge, in a sealed container. Best eaten within 4 days of making.
Make sure you follow me on my social media
The Little Blog Of Veganⓒ All Rights Reserved. 2021