These Vegan Ghost Pop Tarts are scarily cute! Whether you’re in need of yummy treats to bake for a Halloween party or something easy and extra delicious for a cosy Halloween movie night, these treats are perfect! They are super easy to make, with a homemade buttery pastry, strawberry jam filling decorated with a vanilla glaze and black icing details. Everyone will love these pop tarts!
Vegan Ghost Pop tarts
It is almost Halloween which means it is time for this year’s selection of the most delicious Halloween treats! I have a lot coming up in the next few weeks, stay tuned! To keep up to date, make sure to subscribe to my newsletter (its free!).
Don’t be afraid of these pop tarts, they aren’t real ghosts and even if there were, they’d be nice ones- haha! They are absolutely delicious, they take no time at all, use a 5 ingredient homemade pie crust, store-bought strawberry jam, and glazed with a vanilla icing of powdered sugar, vanilla extract, and milk. Ps.. they can be made in under 30 minutes, how spookily exciting is that?!!
Ghost shaped pastry
There are a few ways you can create adorable ghostly shaped pastry. You can use a stencil with a knife and cut out the shape by hand, or use a ghost shaped cookie cutter. They make it super quick and easy, and create even sized pastries to sandwich with the jam inside. You can find these sorts of cookie cutters everywhere prior to Halloween if you don’t already have some in your cookie cutter collection. I have linked the exact one I use here.
Ingredients you’ll need to make these halloween pop tarts
- Plain flour – As we don’t need the pastry to rise, plain flour is perfect!
- Sugar – Granulated sugar, golden caster or plain white sugar will be great!
- Dairy-free butter – Cold butter directly from the fridge helps to create the perfect, buttery pastry.
- Ice water – Water in a bowl with some ice-cubes.
- Strawberry jam – You can use store bought like me to make things easier, or make your own homemade jam / compote. I have the most amazing jam recipe in my book.
- Icing sugar – Powdered sugar helps to make a sweet icing.
- Dairy-free milk – Almond, Oat, Soya, Cashew etc… any dairy-free milk will work great
- Vanilla extract – A splash of Vanilla adds a delicious flavour to the icing. You can even use vanilla seeds from a vanilla pod.
- Black food gel – Make sure to use a food gel as opposed to a food colouring. Food gel is thick and more pigmented, meaning you’ll only need a small dot. This will pigment the icing without changing the consistency. I use this exact vegan food gel.
How to make vegan pop tarts
Pastry : First step is to prep the homemade pastry. Thankfully, it’s super easy to make! Mix the flour, sugar, ice water and butter together until a dough forms, wrap in grease proof paper and chill for 30 minutes.
Roll out the pastry in-between 2 sheets of grease proof paper, and cut out ghost shapes and place onto a lined baking tray.
Jam filling : Add a teaspoon or two into the middle of half of the ghost shapes, then brush some milk around the edges of the ghost.
Place another ghost shape on top and press down, and crimp the edges with a fork. This seals in the filling.
Brush the top of the pastries with some dairy-free milk then bake for around 20-25minutes or until golden in colour.
Remove from the oven and allow to cool fully before glazing.
Icing : Mix icing sugar, vanilla and milk together to glaze, similar consistency to tooth paste.
Remove some of the icing and place into a separate bowl, colour this with black food gel and add into a piping bag.
Dip of pipe the white frosting over the ghost pastries and allow to dry at room temperature for around 10 minutes.
Pope 2 dots and a line for the eyes and the mouth. Allow the icing to dry.