These 3-ingredient Vegan Nutella Puff Pastry Flowers are ridiculously easy to make, and are sure to impress your loved one at Valentines Day. These puff pastry flowers are perfect for breakfast or dessert or even just a treat with for afternoon tea. They are also great to get involved with making too!
Vegan Nutella Puff Pastry Flowers
I’m a sucker for easy peasy recipes and while these gorgeous puff pastry flowers may look technical or hard to make, you’ll be AMAZED at how easy they actually are! No special tools or methods required, just a few easy ‘step by step’ instructions, that’s it!
Valentines is a time which calls for CHOCOLATE, so whip up a batch of these pastries for your loved ones, they’ll love you forever!
Why you’ll love these puff pastry flowers
There are just so many reasons to love these easy Nutella puff pastry flowers. Being so quick means you can make them any time, even first thing in the morning for breakfast or brunch. You can even make them in advance, the night before and fill them with whatever you fancy.
- They’re Vegan : I used a vegan puff pastry from JusRoll, along with vegan friendly Nutella spread by Natures Store. If you are unable to find vegan Nutella where you are based, you can make you own!!! I have the BEST Homemade Vegan Nutella in my award-winning book -The Little Book of Vegan Bakes’. Get your copy here.
- Easily made gluten-free : Did you know you can get vegan AND gluten-free puff pastry! I use JusRoll Gluten-free Vegan Puff Pastry which works a dream! I also used it for my Vegan Strawberry Danish recipe.
- The texture: The pastry is super crisp and flakey, while the ‘Nutella’ filling is soft and creamy, the perfect combination!
- The flavour : You can’t beat pastry with ‘Nutella’. The hazelnut shines through along with the chocolate! It’s truly scrumptious! They’re not sickly sweet which makes them perfect for breakfast / brunch.
- They stay crisp : The thing i love most about puff pastry is that it stays crisp! To save on time, you can make the pastry flower the day before and fill them before serving. The dairy-free glaze and the light scattering of sugar helps with the browning and also with the crispness.
Ingredients for the puff pastry flowers
You are going to love how simple and easy these puff pastry flowers are. Made with a few simple ingredients which you probably already have in your kitchen pantry.
- Ready-rolled puff pastry (make sure it’s vegan friendly, and GF if you are gluten intolerant)
- 1 jar of vegan chocolate & hazelnut spread (vegan ”Nutella”)
- Dairy-free milk (for the ‘egg-wash’)
- Hazelnuts (optional)
- Granulated sugar (great alternative is caster sugar)
- Icing sugar (for dusting)
Tools you’ll need:
- Flower shaped cookie cutter
- Rolling pin
- Cupcake tin
- Grease proof paper
- Cupcake liners
- Piping bag
- Food grade brush
- Mini blender
How to make Nutella Puff Pastry Flowers
Full recipe and method is at the bottom of this post in the recipe card.
- Prepare the pastry
Allow the pastry to come to room temperature for 5 minutes before rolling out, this will make it easier to work with. Roll out the pastry to flatten any lumps or bumps. Use a flower shaped cookie cutter to chomp out the shapes and place on grease proof paper. Line a cupcake tin with cupcake cases. Lay the pastry flower into the case, pressing it down slightly.
- Glaze the pastry
Use a food grade brush, brush dairy-free milk over the pastry and sprinkle over the sugar.
- Bake the pastry
Bake the pastry flowers in the oven until crisp and golden brown in colour. Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
- Vegan nutella and hazelnuts
Fill a piping bag with vegan ‘Nutella’ and pipe into the middle of the flowers. Add hazelnuts into a blender and blitz. Sprinkle over the ‘Nutella’ to stick.
Serve with a sprinkle over icing sugar (optional).
Puff Pastry Flowers Tips & Tricks
- Make sure to check your ingredients are vegan : It’s always worth triple checking your pastry to avoid picking up a non-vegan product. Same goes with the ‘Nutella’, make sure its a vegan friendly cocoa Hazelnut spread!
- Work quickly: Puff pastry does tend to thaw and soften quite quickly. You’ll get a better rise from pastry that stays cold.
- Don’t skip the sugar coating: The crisp and crunchy sugar on top adds sweetness, a delicious crunch and also helps to colour the pastry golden!
- Chill them: Chilling the puff pastry twists in the freezer for 10 minutes before baking, helps them to keep their shape better.
- Store: To keep them fresh, make sure to store them in a sealed container in the fridge and enjoy within 2 days of making. After a few days, the pastry will loose it’s crispness.