Make these adorable Vegan Love Letter Pastries for your someone special this Valentines day. These mini hand pies are folded like an envelope, with a homemade buttery pastry, filled with delicious strawberry jam, and sealed with a heart. They’re fun, easy to make and sure to impress!
Vegan Love Letter Hand Pastries
It’s the season of love, and what better way to show someone how much you love them than with a love letter. Make it even better and make it a delicious, sweet, flakey, buttery and ‘melt in your mouth’ edible love letter with a jam filling – yum yum!!
I’ve been so excited to share these sweet and delicious love letter pastries with you, ever since I posted my Vegan Strawberry Danish recipe which blew up on Tiktok. There’s something romantic about strawberries for Valentines day. I don’t know whether it’s their gorgeous pink colour, or juicy & sweet flavour, but it simply hit’s the spot!
Why you’ll love this recipe:
- Super easy to make
- Melt in the mouth pastry
- Easy to find / simple ingredients
- Can be made gluten-free by swapping to a GF flour blend
- Fun to make
- Great for Valentines Day, Mothers Day or even tea parties
- They make great party food
- One ingredient filling
- Tasty snack
- It’s a great way to use up any left over jam
Ingredients you’ll need to make these love letter pastries
I wanted to make this recipe as simple, quick and easy as possible, so I used my go-to shortcrust pastry which is only 4 ingredients, along with a 1 ingredient filling and a sugar dusting. They couldn’t be easier to make!
- As we don’t need the pastry to rise unlike cake or cupcakes, plain flour is great! You can make this recipe gluten-free by using a gluten-free plain flour blend. I recommend Doves Farm.
- Fine caster sugar adds sweetness, and also helps to bind the pastry. To help the pastry turn golden and have a delicious crisp top, you can sprinkle over some sugar before baking.
Dairy-free block butter
- Cold butter directly from the fridge helps to create the perfect, buttery pastry. My favourite vegan butters are Naturli Vegan Block and Flora Plant Block Alternative.
- To make ice-water, pour water in a bowl and add in a few ice cubes. Stir, and allow to fit for a few minutes so the water turns really cold. now the water is perfect to use in the pastry. Using ice water helps to keep the fat cold so it does not melt. If the fat ends up melting before the pastry is baked, it’s absorbed into the flour and wont produce a flakey pastry.
- You can use store bought like me to make things easier, or make your own homemade jam / compote. I have the most amazing jam recipe in my book.
- Brush some milk over the pastry before baking, this will help attach the sprinkled sugar and also helps with the golden colour.
- Serve the pastries with a dusting of icing sugar. Simply sprinkle icing sugar / powdered sugar over the pastries before serving. It adds sweetness and a gorgeous effect.
How to assemble a love letter pastry
These pastries look technical and like they would be hard to make, but they are SUPER quick and easy! You simple need to know how to fold them and then you’re ready to go. You’ll be making dozens of these hand pies in minutes – haha! They’re also great for kids to get involved in making.
- Roll out the pastry
First step is to roll out the pastry in between two sheets of grease proof paper, which have been lightly floured. As the dough is similar to shortcrust, the main ingredient is butter so it has a tendency to stick. Roll out the dough until pretty thin, but not too thin.
- Cutting the dough
You want to use a sharp knife to cut the dough. Make sure it is sharp as you don’t want to pull on the tough tearing it. Cut a diamond shape (10cm each side). Lift up the shape and place onto a grease proof paper lined baking tray. I like to fill and shape the pastries on the baking tray as this just makes it easier.
- Pastry hearts
Make sure to leave a little pastry behind. You want to roll this in the same way we did for the diamond shapes, but use a mini heart cookie cutter to chomp out the heart shapes.
- Jam filling
You can either pipe the jam into the middle of the pastries using a piping bag with the tip snipped off, or simple use a small spoon.
- Forming the love letter
To create the love letter shape, following the folds of a real envelope, fold in the left, right, and bottom flaps over the strawberry jam, leaving the upper flap open. Brush milk over the pastry and on the back of the pastry heart and stick into the middle of the envelope. Sprinkle over sugar, bake and serve.
Looking for more Valentines recipes, check these out:
If you make, and love this recipe, please leave a ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ rating below. Thank you & happy baking! Make sure to tag me in your photos on Instagram and Facebook! And if you want to pin this recipe for later, you can use the button on the recipe card, above or below this post, or on any of the photos. Happy baking all!Print