Happy 1st December!
We are officially in the festive season, and what better way to start this magical month than with a hearty, protein-packed nut roast!
This nut roast is packed full of protein and goodness, with no added sugar and is 100% vegan and tasty!!!
I used a mixture of walnuts, pecans, hazelnuts, cashews to create a flavoursome, moist and textured festive dish!
To accompany the nut roast, I wanted to make a tasty compote. Cranberries are in season and is very complimentary to a nut roast!
This would be the perfect dish to serve up for Christmas dinner along with seasonal vegetables.
- 25ml of light olive oil
- 1 red onion (chopped)
- 2 teaspoons of marmite (yeast extract) in 1/4 pint of hot water
- 2 teaspoons of ground almonds
- 100g of gluten-free breadcrumbs
- 200g of chopped mixed nuts ( I used walnuts, hazelnuts, cashews, pecans)
- 1/4 teaspoon of cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon of oregano
- Pinch of salt & pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon of chill flakes
150g of fresh cranberries
1 orange (juice and zest)
1 tablespoon of maple syrup
1. Pre-heat your oven to 180 degrees c, fan and line a loaf tin with greaseproof paper.
2. Pour the oil into a frying pan/wok and gently heat up. Add in the chopped onion and sauté until golden brown.
This will take around 5 minutes.
3.When the onions are golden brown, pour them into a mixing bowl and add the rest of the ingredients. Mix thoroughly with a spoon.
4. Spoon the mixture into your lined loaf tin, making sure to get into the edges. As an extra kick, i sprinkled chili flakes and oregano on top.
Pop your nut roast into the heated oven for around 25 minutes.
Check after 20 minutes to make sure it’s not burning!
5. Once your nut roast if fully cooked, carefully remove it from the oven and cut it into slices and serve with vegetables & roast potatoes!
This nut roast can be kept frozen, but will have to be fully thawed before cooking again!
Method (cranberry sauce)
1. Place the cranberries, maple syrup, orange juice & zest into a sauce pan.
Heat on low for around 20-25 minutes. Keep string to prevent the compote from sticking, add water as necessary.
Make sure you follow me on my social media
The Little Blog Of Veganⓒ All Rights Reserved. 2020