These vegan caramel apple pastries are elegant, easy to make and delicious. Flakey puff pastry is wrapped around fresh apple slices coated in cinnamon sugar served with caramel sauce. Vegan, no-egg, no-dairy and only 5 ingredients. The perfect treat for Autumn / Fall.
Caramel Apple Pastries
Say hello to an easy dessert that looks super impressive!! The buttery, flakey and crisp pastry is filled with a soft, sweet and spiced cinnamon sugar apples. They’re easy, tasty and great baking fun! I mean, what’s not to love? Crisp pastry, soft apples, cinnamon AND caramel – it’s my autumnal DREAM!
Why you’ll love these pastries:
- Vegan friendly : This recipe doesn’t contain any animal derived ingredients!
- Ready rolled pastry : To make things super quick and convenient, puff pastry sheets are used. They are perfect and will save you so much time. I use the brand Jus-Rol.
- They’re gluten-free : This recipe can be made gluten-free. Make sure to use gluten-free puff pastry sheets. Again, I use the vegan and gluten-free friendly puff pastry sheets from Jus-Rol.
- Super fun : From the making process to design, these little apples are super fun to make. Great for kids to get involved with baking!
- They’ll get your taste buds tingling : Trust me, one of these isn’t enough! You’ll be going back for seconds, or even thirds! They’re SO GOOD!
- Caramel drizzle : Serve the pastries with store bought caramel, or even better..use homemade. My 3 ingredient vegan caramel sauce is a match made in heaven for this recipe!
- Super easy : Unlike a whole apple pie, there is no rolling, lining tart tins or dishes. All you have to do is wrap the pastry around the the slices of cinnamon sugar covered apples. Bake until golden brown then drizzle with caramel. So simple!
Ingredients you’ll need
Heres’ what you’ll need for this recipe:
- Puff pastry : Store bought puff pastry sheets are the star of the show. You want to use a good quality puff pastry. If you wanted this recipe wheat-free, be sure to use gluten-free puff pastry. My favourite is JusRol.
- Apples : You want to make sure to use an apple that won’t become mushy when baked. The best apples for baking are Granny Smith, Bramley Apples, Honey Crisp and Pink Lady.
- Ground cinnamon : Naturally, cinnamon is a perfect match with apples. Be sure that your ground cinnamon is fresh.
- Sugar : You can use white granulated sugar or a fine white / caster sugar. This will help sweeten the pastries and create a delicious cinnamon sugar.
- Dairy-free milk : You can use any dairy-free milk for this recipe including oat, soya, cashew and almond. The milk helps the pastry shapes stick and is brushed over the pastry before baked to help golden the pastry.
- Caramel : This is optional drizzled on top of the pastries, but oh my…. don’t leave it out! It makes this dessert taste incredible! I use my 3 ingredient vegan caramel which pairs beautifully with the cinnamon spice.
Tools you’ll need:
I have listed all of the tools you will need to make these scrumptious little pastries.
- Piping tip
- Rolling pin
- Pizza cutter / sharp knife
- Leaf fondant press/ cookie cutters
- Food grade brush
- Piping bags
- Baking tray
- Icing sugar shaker
How to make apple pastries
- Prepare the pastry
Roll out the puff pastry sheets. Using a pizza cutter or knife, cut out strips of the pastry. Use leaf cookie cutters / fondant presses to chomp out some leaf shapes.
- Apples and cinnamon sugar
In a bowl, mix together the sugar and cinnamon. Cut the apple into thick slices. Use the end of a piping tip to chomp out a circle in the middle. Coat the apple ‘doughnut’ shape in the cinnamon sugar.
- Wrap the apple
Wrap the pastry strips around the apple slices until the apples are coated. Brush the tops with some dairy-free milk, stick on the leaf decorations (optional), and sprinkle some more cinnamon sugar on top.
Place the pastries on a lined baking tray and bake in the middle of the oven until flakey and golden brown. Allow to cool, then serve with caramel sauce.