No words can describe how good this cake is!
A moist chocolate cake, topped with a chocolate fudge buttercream/ganache mix which is extremely delicious!
Treat yourself with a slice of chocolate fudge cake, or if you’re not a fudge fan, check out:
This cake is not only delicious but extremely indulgent.
This is the sort of cake you could easily devour half of in one sitting!
Why I love this cake so much:
- The cake is beautifully moist.
- You only need one bowl to make the cake.
- The buttercream is very fudgey.
- Chocolate on chocolate….everyone will love it!
- One layer of cake means less washing up and less mess- WIN.
Preparation: 15 minutes
Baking time: 28-30 minutes
Serves: Approximately 6-8
Ingredients for the cake
-240ml of dairy-free milk
-1 teaspoon of apple cider vinegar
-210g of self-raising flour
-3 tablespoons of cocoa powder
-240g of golden caster sugar
-1/2 teaspoon of baking powder
-1/2 teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda
-60g of vegetable/coconut oil
Ingredients for the chocolate ganache buttercream
-125g of dairy-free butter
-250g of icing sugar
-2 tablespoons of cocoa powder
-1 tablespoon of dairy-free milk (optional)
-100g of dairy-free chocolate
-100ml of dairy-free cream
–Vegan fudge (for decoration)
1. Preheat your oven to 180 degrees c and line an 8 inch cake tin with grease-proof paper.
2. In a bowl, combine the almond milk with the apple cider vinegar and whisk until fully combined.
Set aside for 10 minutes to curdle. This creates a vegan ‘buttermilk’.
3. In a large mixing bowl, sift the flour, cocoa powder, sugar, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda.
Mix well to combine.
4. Add the melted vegetable/coconut oil into the ‘buttermilk’ and whisk to combine.
5. Add the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix.
6. Pour the batter into the lined cake tin.
Make sure to tap the tin on the worktop to remove any air bubbles.
7. Pop the cake into the center of the preheated oven and bake for around 28-30 minutes.
You will know it’s done when you put a knife or skewer in and it comes out clean and it is springy to the touch.
8. Place the cake on a cooling rack and allow to cool fully.
Once cool, pop the cake into a sealed container to keep it fresh before frosting.
Method (Chocolate ganache buttercream)
1. In a bowl/stand mixer, cream the butter on high until light and fluffy, then add in the icing sugar and cocoa powder.
2. Add the chocolate into a bowl, and place the coconut cream into a small saucepan and heat over medium heat until boiling, then pour over the chocolate and mix together.
Allow the ganache to cool slightly.
3. Add the ganache into the buttercream.
Whip together on high speed until smooth and glossy.
4. Dollop the buttercream on top of the cake and swirl around using a spoon or spatula.
5. Press in fudge pieces.
Serve fresh or store in a sealed container in the fridge, the buttercream will firm up at room temperature.
Best eaten within a few days!
Make sure you follow me on my social media
My Instagram- https://www.instagram.com/thelittleblogofvegan/
This looks amazing! Step 2 is confusing me a little bit. It says the chocolate is put into a bowl and the cream into a saucepan. Are they mixed together to make the ganache? Do you pour the cream onto the chocolate or put the chocolate into the saucepan? Thanks
Yes, thats correct. To make a chocolate ganache you want to add chocolate in a bowl and pour over hot/warm cream 🙂 hope that helps x
What cake tin does this recipe call for ?
Hello Theresa, it uses a 8 inch tin, prefer the loose base cake tins 🙂 x