When you can’t choose between cookies and cake for dessert, just combine the two and enjoy the most spectacular and extremely scrumptious chocolate chip cookie cake (or party cake as I like to call it).
Perfect with a side of dairy-free milk of course- haha.
With little chunks of dairy-free dark chocolate chips hidden in the light and spongy vegan vanilla cakes, there really isn’t anything not to love about this cake.
3 layers of vanilla sponge cakes with chocolate chips, a vanilla buttercream, topped with vegan chocolate chip cookies and more mini chocolate chips.
Milk and cookies sprung to mind when I was making this cake.
I love the milky looking white buttercream, contrasting the chocolate and cookies, it just looks glorious.
It’s such a simple yet effective design which is sure to be an eye-catcher for whoever you make it for.
This gorgeous 3 layers cake is cram-packed with homemade mini chocolate chips.
You can buy mini chocolate chips, but I prefer to make my own. Method below.
What you’ll need?
- A piping bag
- 200g of dairy-free dark chocolate
- Baking tray
- Greaseproof paper.
- Saucepan filled with water
How to make homemade chocolate chips:
1. Add 200g of dairy-free dark chocolate into a heatproof bowl.
2. Fill a small saucepan with water.
3. Place the saucepan over the hob and turn on the heat to medium and allow to simmer.
4. Place the bowl on top of the saucepan and allow the chocolate to melt. If you have a microwave you can melt the chocolate that way.
5. Once the chocolate has melted, remove from the heat and allow to cool slightly.
6. Add the cooled chocolate into a piping bag and snip off the end of the tip. You only want to snip off a tiny bit, this makes it easier for piping small chocolate chips.
7. Line a baking tray with greaseproof paper.
8. Pipe small dots of the chocolate over the greaseproof paper.
Repeat until you’ve used up all of the chocolate.
9. Place the tray into the freezer to set the chocolate. This will take about 30 minutes.
10. Remove the tray from the freezer and tap it on the worktop to release the chocolate chip.
Store the chocolate chips in the fridge. If you’re using already temepered dakr chocolate, they will be okay stored at room temprature.
Looking for more cookie recipes?
- Cookie Dough Sheet Cake (Vegan)
- Chocolate Chip Banana Bread (Vegan)
- No-Bake Chocolate Chip Cheesecake Bars (Vegan)
- No-Bake Cookie Dough Truffles (Vegan)
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars (Vegan)
- Cookie Dough Layer Cake (Vegan)
- Easy Chocolate Chip Cookies (Vegan)
Preparation: 20 minutes
Baking time: 28-30 minutes
Serves: Approximately 10-12
Ingredients for the cake
-480ml of dairy-free milk
-2 teaspoons of apple cider vinegar
-420g of self-raising flour
-470g of caster sugar
-1 teaspoon of baking powder
-1 teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda
-120g of vegetable oil / melted coconut oil
-50g of mini dairy-free dark chocolate chips
Ingredients for the buttercream
-250g of dairy-free butter
-500g of icing sugar
-1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
-1 tablespoon of dairy-free milk (optional)
1. Preheat your oven to 180 degrees c and line three 6 inch cake tins with grease-proof paper.
2. In a bowl, combine the dairy-free milk with the apple cider vinegar and whisk until fully combined.
Set aside for 10 minutes to curdle. This creates a vegan ‘buttermilk’.
3. In a large mixing bowl, sift the flour, sugar, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda.
Mix well to combine.
4. Add the oil into the ‘buttermilk’ and whisk to combine.
5. Add the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix.
6. Fold in the chocolate chips.
7. Pour equal amounts of batter into the lined cake tins.
Make sure to tap the tins on the worktop to remove any air bubbles.
Optional: Sprinkle more chocolate chips over the cakes before baking.
8. Pop the cakes into the center of the preheated oven and bake for around 28-30 minutes.
You will know they are done when you put a knife or skewer in and it comes out clean and they are springy to the touch.
9. Place the cakes on a cooling rack and allow to cool fully.
Once cool, pop them into a sealed container to keep them fresh before frosting.
Method (vanilla buttercream)
1. In a bowl/stand mixer, cream the butter on high until light and fluffy, then add in the icing sugar and vanilla extract.
Add a splash of dairy-free milk if the buttercream is too thick. If it’s too runny, add more icing sugar until its a nice and creamy consistency.
2. Stack and fill the cakes with vanilla buttercream.
Optional: Crumble Chocolate Chip Cookies inbetween the layers.
Crumb coat the whole cake and pop into the fridge to set.
This will take 10-15 minutes.
3. When the crumb coat feels firm to the touch, add a thick layer of the vanilla buttercream all over the cake and using a smooth or textured cake scraper or large spatula, smooth out the buttercream.
4. Add Chocolate Chip Cookies around the bottom of the cake. Press them into the buttercream so they stick.
5. Press mini chocolate chips all over the cake into the buttercream, spreading them out (as seen in the photos).
6. Add left over buttercream into a piping bag with a large star tip nozzle and pipe swirls around the top edge of the cake.
7. Sprinkle mini chocolate chips over the buttercream swirls.
8. Place 2 cookies ontop of the cake.
To help them stand up, place 2 tooth picked into the top of the cake and lean the cookies on the picks.
Just make sure you remive the tooth picks before serving!
Serve fresh or store in a sealed container in the fridge, the buttercream will firm up at room temperature.
Best eaten within a few days!
Make sure you follow me on my social media
The Little Blog Of Veganⓒ All Rights Reserved. 2020