These soft iced vegan lemon swirl cookies have real lemon juice and lemon zest stirred in to the cookie dough, making them unbelievably fresh, zesty and perfect for summer. Topped with homemade vegan lemon curd and a delicious cream cheese swirl, they are sure to be a hit for whoever you make them for. This lemon cookie recipe is ready in less than 30 minutes, and is sure to impress! Vegan, dairy-free, egg-free, easy.
Vegan Lemon Swirl Cookies
Summer is officially here and the lemons are in abundance. This simple lemon cookie recipe is made from only a handful of ‘easy to find’ ingredients. You’ll be using basic cookie ingredients such as dairy-free butter, sugar, and flour along with fresh lemon juice and lemon zest fora citrus kick. These will be your go-to bake for Summer. They are fresh, fruity and fun! They remind me of a lemon meringue, but in cookie form!
Looking for more lemon recipes, check these out:
- Vegan Drizzle Muffins
- Vegan Lemon Tiramisu
- Mini Vegan Lemon Tarts
- Gluten-free Vegan Lemon Cupcakes
- Vegan Lemon Sheet Cake
Layers of a lemon swirl cookie
Cookie : The cookie is crispy on the outside and soft and chewy on the inside. They melt in your mouth with the most delicious lemon butter flavour! Whoever you serve these to won’t believe you actually made them. They taste like they have come from a bakery, they’re THAT good! You will simply have to make them to find out.
Cream swirl : The cream swirl contains vegan butter and dairy-free cream cheese, giving the flavour of the cookies a delicious ‘lemon meringue’ vibe. They are truly scrumptious!
Lemon curd swirl : You can’t have a lemon cookie without the most delicious lemon curd to top them off! Simple. egg-free and made in minutes, this is the BEST EVER vegan lemon curd!
Ingredients you’ll need:
This recipe is super quick, easy with ingredients you might possibly already have in your kitchen / pantry! Find the full ingredients list and quantities in the recipe card at the bottom of the post.
- Dairy-free butter – You want it soft at room temperature, this makes it easier to cream. My favourite vegan butters are ‘Naturli Vegan Block’ or ‘Flora Plant Butter’.
- Caster sugar – Use fine, white caster sugar.
- Vanilla extract – You can use a splash of vanilla or seeds from a vanilla bean pod.
- Dairy-free milk – Any dairy-free milk works for this recipe including oat, almond, soya or cashew.
- Plain flour – Use plain flour / all purpose flour.
- Baking powder + Baking soda – Helps to cookies to rise and adds a nice chew.
- Fresh lemons – Make sure they are unwaxed!
- Coconut milk – Use the thick white cream from a can of coconut milk. See notes at the bottom of the written recipe for further instruction.
- Cornflour / cornstarch – This helps to thicken the lemon curd!
- Turmeric – Helps to give the lemon curd a gorgeous sunny yellow colour. If you can’t have turmeric, you can use a dot of vegan friendly yellow food gel.
- Dairy-free cream cheese – Use a good quality cream cheese, my favourite is Violife.
- Icing sugar – Make sure to sift the icing sugar before use, this will remove any lumps making for a super smooth cream cheese frosting, and dusting on top.
How to make Vegan Lemon Swirl Cookies
- Lemon curd
Add all of the lemon curd ingredients into a saucepan over the hob. Heat and allow to bubble away until it thickens. Remove from the heat, transfer into a heat proof bowl and allow to cool down.
Mix the butter and sugar together in a bowl, then add in the rest of the ingredients until a thick cookie dough. Scoop into balls and place on a lined baking tray, coat with sugar and bake.
- Cream swirl
Cream the vegan butter and cream cheese, then add in the rest of the ingredients. Beat until thick and creamy, transfer into a piping bag fitted with a large round tip nozzle. Pipe a swirl on top of each cookie.
- Lemon swirl
Transfer the lemon curd into a piping bag, snip off the tip and pipe in-between the cream cheese swirl.
Sprinkle some icing sugar over the cookies and finish them off with a slice of fresh lemon. You could even zest some lemon over the top.