Moist and delicious vegan orange loaf cake with a simple orange drizzle icing. This is everything you want in a citrus loaf cake, plus MORE!
Vegan orange loaf cake
This super easy Vegan Orange Loaf Cake has a deliciously moist and fluffy texture with a fresh, citrus flavour. It’s topped with a simple orange icing glaze for an extra burst of citrus orange flavour. It’s the perfect cake to serve along side a cup of tea / coffee for an afternoon tea break or summer party. I took inspiration from my popular Vegan Lemon Loaf, but made it with a fun orange twist! You’re going to love it!
Why you’ll love this recipe
There are a million reasons why you need to make this cake, and why you’ll absolutely LOVE it, but if I were to write them all down, i’d be here for hours, so… i’ve listed my top 5 – haha!
- Vegan – This recipe doesn’t use any animals derived ingredients.
- Quick and easy to make – The cake takes minutes to make and can be made in 1 bowl!
- 2 ingredient glaze – The glaze uses icing sugar for fresh orange juice for the best flavour. You can even add in some fresh orange zest.
- Full of citrus flavour – Use fresh orange zest and orange extract for the ultimate orange flavour
- Soft & fluffy- The texture of the cake is perfect. The light crumb melts in your mouth!
Ingredients you’ll need
This cake is such a winner, you need less than 10 simple ingredients, most of which you probably already have in your kitchen! Find the full ingredients list in the recipe card at the bottom of the page.
- Fresh oranges – Use fresh, ripe large oranges. Make sure to wash the orange before zesting.
- Caster sugar – Use a fine white sugar for this recipe.
- Plain / all purpose flour
- Baking powder – Helps with the rise of the cake. Makes it super airy and light.
- Sunflower oil – Make sure to use a neutral flavoured oil, such as sunflower oil.
- Dairy-free milk – Soya milk works best, but alternatively you can use any dairy-free milk – almond, cashew, oat etc.
- Orange extract – A splash of orange extract works wonders in the cake. It adds a strong citrus flavour, while not effecting the texture of the light cake.
- Dairy-free block butter
- Icing sugar
How to make a Vegan Orange Loaf Cake
The recipe instructions are super easy to follow, with no mixer required!
- Make the cake batter
Mix all the cake ingredients in a bowl until smooth, then pour into a lined loaf tin.
Cut a slither of butter and place into the middle of the cake (see photos for reference). This will help with the loaf ‘crack’.
Place in the middle of the oven and bake until tall and a skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean. Remove from the oven and allow to cool in the tin, then transfer to a wire rack.
Mix the icing sugar, orange juice and zest in a bowl until thick / runny, drizzle over the top of the cake. Allow to set at room temperature.
- Slice and enjoy
Cut into slices using a sharp knife, serve and enjoy!
How to create the classic loaf cake ‘crack’
There is a super simple trick to get your loaf cakes to perfectly crack down the middle. As soon as your have poured the cake batter in the tin, grab yourself a block of vegan butter, cut a slither and place in the middle of the cake. Don’t press it down, you just want it to sit on top.
Alternatively, place some vegan margarine in a piping bag, snip off the tip and pipe a line down the middle of the cake. As the cake bakes in the oven and the butter melts, it encourage the batter to split precisely down the middle, creating an impressive and classic loaf ‘crack’.
Orange loaf cake tips & tricks
- Note, the baking time may slightly vary depending on the type of oven you have. Always keep an eye on the cake to determine when it’s baked!
How to tell if the cake has baked
- To check the cake has fully baked, insert the skewer/ toothpick down the middle of the loaf as it can be done around the edges while still raw in the middle. If it comes out with batter on, it needs more time to bake. If it’s clean, it’s ready to remove from the oven.
How to store a orange loaf cake
- Store the cake in a sealed container in the fridge. Best enjoyed within 4 days of making. Alternatively, the cake can be stored at room temperature in a air tight / sealed container for 2-3 days.
- If you wanted to gift this orange loaf to your friends, family / loved ones, go the extra step and garnish the top with some orange slices. Alternatively, use candied oranges!
Use organic oranges
- As this cake contains fresh orange zest, make sure to use organic oranges. also make sure to wash the oranges before use!
If you make, and love this recipe, please leave a ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ rating below. Thank you & happy baking! Make sure to tag me in your photos on Instagram and Facebook! And if you want to pin this recipe for later, you can use the button on the recipe card, above or below this post, or on any of the photos. Happy baking all!Print