Make the BEST strawberry shortcake into an easy, 1 layer cake! This Vegan Strawberry Shortcake cake is made with a super moist shortcake, topped with freshly whipped cream and a ton of fresh strawberries! Vegan, easy to make and unbelievably delicious!
Vegan Strawberry Shortcake Cake
This cake is everything you could ever wish for in a scrumptious summer cake. It’s super easy to make, easy to prepare, and combines flavours that everyone loves, especially when the suns out! What’s more to love than fresh whipped cream and juicy strawberries, especially when on an amazingly tasty vanilla cake! You are going to fall in love with this recipe! Keep reading to learn how to make this spectacular bake!
What is a strawberry shortcake?
If you’ve never heard of strawberry shortcake, where have you been?! Nothing beats cream and strawberries.. end of! It’s literally the most perfect combination of two flavours and food OF ALL TIME!
Strawberry shortcake is a magical combination of fresh strawberries and shortcake. ‘Shortcake’ refers to a dessert with a crumbly scone like texture. There are multiple variations of shortcake most of which are usually served with fruit and cream, one of the most popular being strawberry shortcake which is typically served with whipped cream. This cake features the main elements of strawberry shortcake, served on a perfect vanilla cake layer. This is the perfect dessert to whip up for a summery dessert for a dinner party, BBQ or Summer gathering!
Ingredients for a strawberry shortcake cake:
The best part about this cake is that it’s SO easy to make and only calls for 7 simple ingredients, and 2 for the toppings. Here’s your shopping list:
- Self raising flour
- Apple cider vinegar
- Caster sugar
- Baking powder
- Bicarbonate of soda
- Vanilla extract
- Sunflower Oil
- Dairy-free whipping cream
- Fresh strawberries
Tips for the best strawberry shortcake cake
This cake is ridiculously easy to make and decorate, but i have listed a few of my top tips to help you create the ULTIMATE vegan strawberry shortcake cake every single time!
- Use in-season strawberries : Make sure to use fresh, in-season strawberries to top the cake. Make sure they are fully washed and dried, you don’t want to get too much excess moisture in the cream.
- Cool the cake : Make sure the cake is 100% cool to the touch before adding on the cream. If you add the cream on a cake which is even slightly warm, it will melt and ruin the aesthetic of the cake. Patience makes perfect in this cake!
- Use a stable cream : The star of the show is obviously the enormous mountain of freshly whipped cream. You want to use a cream which is stable that it hold’s its shape on the top of the cake, when the cake is cut into slices and when left at room temperature. The BEST vegan cream is ‘The Coconut Collaborative Double Cream’. I can’t recommend it enough!!
- Sprinkle the cake with sugar : It’s a small step but oh my, it makes all the difference. It gives the cake a slight crunch and caramelised flavour. It also adds a gorgeous golden colour to the top of the cake.
Looking for more strawberry recipes? Check these out
How to store a strawberry shortcake cake?
I recommend assembling the cake just before serving (on the day). This way, the cake can be stored in a air tight / sealed container then place on a serving plate or cake stand, whip up the cream and decorate the cake accordingly. This perfects the cake from going soggy, the cream from melting and the strawberries from going to moist.
If you make, and love this recipe, please leave a ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ rating below. Thank you & happy baking! Make sure to tag me in your photos on Instagram and Facebook! And if you want to pin this recipe for later, you can use the button on the recipe card, above or below this post, or on any of the photos. Happy baking all!Print