Everyone is sure to love these Vegan Ghost Doughnuts! Soft and pillowy dough, filled with a raspberry jam and topped with a smooth vanilla glaze. They’re super cute and perfect for celebrating Halloween. Vegan, No-Egg, No-Dairy and easy to make.
Vegan Ghost Doughnuts
You truly can’t beat a homemade doughnut! They may take a bit of time to make, but the efforts are TOTALLY worth it. The puffy, golden dough combined with the tart jam filling and sweet vanilla icing is pure perfection! They also may look complicated, but it is actually a super easy recipe. Don’t worry, I’ll walk you through how to make them.
What makes these the best ghost doughnuts?
This is one of these recipes where one just simply isn’t enough. Once you take your first bite you’re greeted with a cozy, light and fluffy dough then transcended into heaven when you taste the delicious homemade raspberry filling, then paired with the glaze which gives a hint of sweetness, each bite is a little piece of heaven! Trust me, once you make ghost shaped doughnuts, you won’t want a regular one ever again!
- The TEXTURE : The doughnut dough is pillowy soft but remains really moist and tender. This is due to the fact of using melted butter instead of oil. Vanilla is also added to the dough to further that divine moist texture. That paired along with the gooey filling and crackly glaze coating, it’s all a match made in spooky heaven.
- This recipe is egg-free : This recipe contains the best egg replacer for doughnuts which is ground flaxseed! Ground flaxseed is the ULTIMATE egg replacer in doughnuts as it replicates the gelatinous texture of an egg resulting in a super chewy and soft doughnut. It’s unreal!!
- The dough takes minutes to make : The only waiting time really is allowing the dough to prove, that’s about it. I am so proud of my doughnut recipe as even though it takes time for it to prove and rise.. it is worth every second. You’ll end up with a delicious vanilla doughnut that’s perfectly soft and sweet, perfect for a spooky movie marathon.
- They’re fun to make : I absolutely love making food which not only tastes delicious, but looks adorable! We use ghost cookie cutters to chomp out the ghost shape before proving and frying. When frying, the shape remains and you’re then left with a gorgeous golden ghost shaped doughnut to fill and decorate however you fancy.
Why you’ll love these ghost doughnuts?
If I still haven’t sold you enough to get in your kitchen and whip up a batch of these SPOOKYTASTIC doughnuts for Halloween weekend, then this should help persuade you:
- Vegan friendly – This recipe doesn’t contain any animal derived ingredients.
- Shaped as little ghosts for Halloween.
- Flax egg makes the doughnuts chewy and soft! Perfect egg replacer in doughnuts!
- They’re pillowy soft!
- Super easy to fry, and fry to perfection!
- Glaze is flavoured with delicious vanilla.
- Classic doughnut flavour combination.
- Simple but effective design.
- Fun to make!
- Filled with the best homemade doughnut jam / compote.
- Great for breakfast or a sweet treat.
Ingredients for vegan ghost doughnuts
This recipe uses only a handful of ingredients, most of which you may already have in your kitchen / pantry. If not, make sure to jot this list down on your shopping list for your next shopping / grocery trip.
- Dairy-free milk
- Active dry yeast
- Caster sugar
- Flaxseed + water
- Dairy-free butter
- Vanilla extract
- Self-raising flour
- Sunflower oil
- Fresh / frozen raspberries
- Cornflour/ cornstarch
- Lemon juice
- Icing sugar
- Black food gel
Made using AEG
It is one of those recipes where one isn’t enough, trust me! The doughnuts are ridiculously fluffy, soft and comforting. I’m so excited to have partnered with AEG to bring you this SCRUMPTIOUS recipe! I love using my AEG Extractor Hob for baking.
This is a fully induction hob with a built in extractor fan, which makes for a sleek look and helps with space saving. I used my AEG Extractor Hob to help fry the doughnuts with a crisp golden shell, and also cook a gooey raspberry doughnut jam. It’s simply the best EVER ! Simply fry the doughnuts in a pan of oil and cook the raspberry filling in a pan everything over a low / medium heat and watch the magic happen.
How to make Vegan Ghost Doughnuts
This recipe is easy and fun, a great spooky baking treat for everyone to get involved in making. You can find the full written recipe and method in the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
- Make the dough
Begin by adding the warm milk with the yeast and sugar. Allow this to froth up and activate. Pour this in a stand mixer bowl along with the rest of the doughnut dough ingredients. Knead until it forms a smooth dough. Place into a lightly oiled bowl and allow to double in size.
- Roll out the dough
Turn out the dough on a heavily floured surface. Roll out the dough, chomp out ghost shapes using a ghost cookie cutter. Place back into somewhere warm to prove / double in size.
- Heat the oil and fry
Heat the oil in a large pan over the hob. Allow it to come to temperature. Lower the doughnuts in the oil and fry for a few minutes on each side until golden and puffy. Carefully remove from the oil and place on kitchen paper to drain any excess oil.
- Raspberry filling
Add all of the raspberry jam ingredients into a pan and heat over the hob until thick and gooey. Allow to cool then transfer into a piping bag and snip off the tip. Poke a hole in the side of the doughnuts and pipe in some of the jam filling.
Mix the icing sugar with the vanilla and milk until runny, dip the tops of the doughnuts in the icing and allow to set. Colour some icing with black food gel, transfer into a piping bag and snip off the tip. Pipe 2 eyes and a mouth to create the ghost face.