These Best Ever Vegan Blueberry Ghost Hand Pies are the perfect homemade pastry treat that’s great for a spooky dessert, brunch, or a snack. They’re bursting with fresh blueberries, made with puff pastry and the best sweet lemon glaze! Vegan, Dairy-free, Egg-free and SUPER easy!
Blueberry Ghost Hand Pies
It’s blueberry season, so you know what that means.. it’s BOO-BERRY ghost time! These super quick, fruity and spooky little treats are the perfect snack for Halloween season. They’re spooky but not so that it’ll put you off eating them! I’d say they’re on the cuter side of Halloween, right?!
They have a flakey vegan and gluten-free puff pastry which is shaped as little ghosts. The filling is a simple blueberry compote, which BURST of fresh blueberries! It’s absolutely delicious. You will want to eat the filling alone, it’s THAT good! To finish off the ghosts and give them a little extra flavour, I added on a simple lemon icing which really makes these ghosts the perfect treat for a spooky party or Halloween movie night!
Why you NEED to make these hand pies!
There are a ton of reasons why you’ve gotta try out and make these delicious hand pies, but I would be here all day if I had to state them all, so I’ve listed my top 10 reasons below!
- They’re vegan friendly
- Made using gluten-free and vegan puff pastry from Jus Roll.
- SUPER quick and easy to make.
- Great for kids to make and decorate.
- Simple yet effective design / decoration.
- Very fresh and fruity.
- Absolutely delicious and bursting with juicy flavour.
- A great way to use up left over blueberries.
- The glaze is delicious, with a hint of lemon.
- Perfect treat for Halloween / parties / gatherings.
- Topped with a scrumptious lemon icing which is gorgeous with the blueberry flavour.
Vegan Blueberry Ghost Hand Pies ingredients:
- Puff pastry : You want to use a vegan friendly puff pastry. The puff pastry I use is from the brand JusRoll. This pastry is also gluten-free making this recipe wheat-free! Supermarkets such as Tesco, ASDA and sainsburys stock JusRoll. You can also find own-brand puff pastry, just make sure to check the ingredients to make sure it’s suitable for vegans.
- Blueberries : You can use either fresh or frozen blueberries for the filling. I personally like to use half and half. This makes the filling have a little extra texture which is really tasty with the flakey pastry.
- Sugar : You can use granulated sugar or a fine water / caster sugar. This will thicken and sweeten the filling and will also help with the golden, crispy pastry.
- Cornstarch / cornflour : This helps the compote / filling to thicken. If you don’t add it, the filling wont jellify, meaning it’ll be very runny.
- Lemon juice : I added a squeeze of lemon to the icing, it pairs perfectly with the fruity, blueberry filling. You could also use dairy-free milk, water or almond extract works really well!
- Icing sugar : To top the pastries, add a little icing / glaze. It makes them even more delicious. Always sieve the icing to remove any clumps.
How to make Blueberry Ghost Hand Pies
These are the simplest spooky treat which are sure to impress and tingle your tastebuds. Remember, you can find the fill written recipe and method in the recipe card at the bottom of the page.
Un-roll the pastry and use a ghost cookie cutter to chomp out the shapes. Place on a grease proof paper lined tray. Cut out the eyes and mouth to half of the ghosts using the tip of a round piping nozzle.
Place the blueberries, sugar, lemon and cornflour in a saucepan. Allow this to simmer and thicken. Once thick, spoon onto the ghost shapes (without the faces). Brush the edges with some water and lay the ghost shape with the faces on top. Dip a fork in some flour and press to stick the shapes together and prevent and leaking.
Brush the tops of the pastries with some dairy-free milk and sprinkle over some sugar. Bake until flakey and golden brown in colour. remove from the oven and allow to cool.
In a bowl, mix the icing sugar with lemon. Drizzle with icing all over the pastry ghosts and allow to dry / set for a few minutes.
Tuck in and enjoy!