With it’s light, buttery, citrus crust; creamy, silky smooth custard filling and zesty, refreshing orange curd, this Vegan Orange Tart is the perfect dessert for all year round.
This recipe has been made in collaboration with one of my favourite company’s, ‘Nature’s Charm’. All opinions expressed in this post are my own. (For more information along with affiliated links, check out my disclosure policy.)
We’ve all heard about ‘lemon tart‘, but it’s time for ‘orange’ to shine. This tart is absolutely scrumptious, from crust to decoration. The crust, filling and topping features freshly squeezed oranges along with orange zest to make this dessert really stand out in colour, and most of all.. flavour!
This vegan orange tart makes the most of Spring/Summer citrus flavours with a buttery orange pastry, orange custard filling and fresh orange curd. Yum!!
What you’ll need to make this tart:
- A 9” tart tin: This is the size tin you need. Make sure to pick up a loose base / push up tin. It makes it super easy for removing the tart when it’s baked and ready for serving.
- A Citrus juicer: A hand juicer works really well. If you have a citrus juicer appliance on your stand mixer even better!
- Hand zester: To make this tart as orange-y as possible, you’ll want to use up all of the orange. A hand held zester is a handy little tool, perfect to keep in your kitchen for desserts like this.
- Baking beans: Baking beans are essential for blind baking as they help to keep the pastry in perfect shape when you bake a tart.
- Piping tip: My favourite piping tip for pie & cake swirls is an large open star tip. I’ve linked the exact one I use below.
To help make this tart as delicious as possible, I used 2 ‘Natures Charm’ products: Sweetened Coconut Condensed Milk and Coconut Whipping Cream.
If you read my blog, and have been following me for a while, you will see that I feature Natures Charm products a lot. That’s because they are amazing! I literally adore their Condensed Milk as it’s vegan, and act’s in the same way as ‘regular’ condensed milk, and it’s thick enough to make the most incredible caramel sauces along with jams and curd, like this orange curd.
The same goes with their Coconut Whipping Cream, this stuff is truly phenomenal! It whips up in minutes to a pipable, and very tasty cream for any kind of dessert. It would make an amazing dessert topper for a Vegan Tiramisu!
How to use Natures Charm in this recipe?
For the custard, you’ll want to use a thick cream. I used Natures Charm Coconut Whipping Cream. It is an incredible dairy-free cream for whipping. It also has the perfect consistency for making things like ganache and this orange custard. It has a light coconut flavour, which lends itself beautifully with the fresh orange.
I used the Natures Charm Coconut Condensed Milk to help make THE BEST orange curd! Honestly, this curd is like edible sunshine. One mouthful and it’ll transport you to hot a summers day. It’s zesty, fresh, and bursting with citrus flavours. It’s easy to make, and the condensed milk helps to thicken it to a jellied consistency which is perfect for layering on-top of the tart.
Where to shop Natures Charm:
Natures Charm Coconut Condensed Milk: The Vegan Kind, Ethical Superstore, Holland and Barrett, IHerb + more!
Natures Charm Coconut Whipping Cream: Ocado, The Vegan Kind, Natural Collection and Ethical Superstore.
Ingredients you’ll need to make this Vegan Orange Tart:
- Icing sugar- Helps to add sweetness to the base, whilst keeping it light in texture.
- Plain flour- To make the most delicious pastry.
- Large oranges- You’ll want a couple of large oranges as you’ll be using the orange juice and zest in the pastry, custard and curd. The more the merrier!
- Dairy-free block butter- To help make the most delicious, light and crumbly buttery pastry for this tart. You’ll want dairy-free butter / margarine for the orange curd too. This helps it get thick and creamy.
- Ice water- You will want the pastry cold, so ice water is a must. (details on how to make ice water is in the notes section, bottom of the recipe).
- Dairy-free milk- You can use any dairy-free milk for this recipe!
Natures Charm Whipping Cream
- This cream will help make a silky smooth custard, with a slight coconut flavour, which compliments the orange taste beautifully.
- Vanilla bean paste- Vanilla bean paste is amazing in custard as you can see the little specks.
- Corn flour / corn starch- Corn flour / starch is essential to thicken the custard and curd! You don’t want to miss out this ingredient.
- Caster sugar- Sugar helps to add sweetness! You can use caster sugar or golden caster sugar. Either will work great!
- Orange flavouring / extract- Orange extract will help amplify the orange flavour even further. It’s also a very tasty addition!
Natures Charm Coconut Condensed Milk
- You’ll want a vegan condensed milk to make orange curd, that’s where Natures Charm comes in! This is one of the best condensed milks EVER! It’s a dream to bake with, definitely pick up a few tins (as i’m sure you’l be making the curd on a regular basis as it’s that tasty- haha!).
How to make a Vegan Orange Tart (three steps)
This pastry is special as it’s not any pastry, but orange pastry. It features fresh orange zest to give it it’s delicious citrus flavour.
The pastry is light, crumbly and buttery. Most of all, it melts in your mouth leaving you with the most scrumptious flavour imaginable. I adore this pastry recipe, and i’m sure you will too!
- Orange custard
Custard in it’s own right is delicious but when you add fresh orange into the mix, something magical happens. This custard is my go-to recipe for tarts and pies! It’s quick and easy to make, and sets to the perfect consistency. Add in some fresh orange zest and orange flavouring / extract, and you’ve got yourself the most epic tasting custard!
- Orange curd
Just when you thought this tart couldn’t get any more delicious, the tart is topped off with a homemade orange curd. Similar to lemon curd, this recipe uses butter, cornstarch and sugar which help make this curd gooey and ultra creamy. It’s also got a heap load of fresh orange in there to make the curd really POP with flavour!
Looking for more fruity recipes? Check these out:
- No-Bake Strawberry Shortcake Cheesecake
- Easy Vegan Raspberry Cake
- Vegan Lemon Loaf
- Vegan Blackberry Cake
- Vegan Lemon Crinkle Cookies
- Small batch Vegan Blueberry Cake
- Vegan Blueberry Pie