These fudgy healthy vegan brownies have it all – a rich fudgy texture, decadent chocolate flavour and they’re super easy to make! Also, they’re dairy-free, egg-free, can be made gluten-free and use only natural sugars. Slice into these easy vegan brownies in just 30 minutes and devour!
Fudgy Healthy Vegan Brownies
These super rich and fudgy vegan brownies are perfectly thick, decadent and filled with chocolate. They are naturally vegan, free from eggs and dairy. They also contain only natural sugar, coconut sugar which helps with the fudgy texture. AND no-one would be able to tell! The brownies even have a glorious crinkle top, you need to make them! Everyone loves regular brownies, but making them healthier with natural sugars is a win win situation!!!
Looking for more chocolate recipes, check out my Vegan Chocolate Ombre Mousse Cake, Vegan Chocolate Cream Pie, Mini Chocolate Orange Cheesecakes and Vegan Chocolate Sweet Rolls. More delicious chocolate recipes here!
How are these vegan brownies ‘healthy’?
Technically speaking, brownies are a chocolate dessert so it won’t ever be 100% healthy, BUT with a few alterations you can enjoy a more natural bake with less sugar!
I’ve recipe tested this brownie at least 20 times and each time was using all different ingredients such as almond flour, protein powder, maple syrup and I just couldn’t get the texture right! I thought sticking to a regular brownie base but swapping out a few ingredients for healthier options:
- Sugar: The brownies contain natural coconut sugar. This sugar is 100% natural and also refined sugar free, unlike caster / white sugar which is typically the sweetener brownies.
- Milk: Use unsweetened dairy-free milk. It’ll add less sugar to the bake!
- Use sugar-free yogurt: A dairy-free sugar-free / low sugar greek yogurt works amazing!
- Chocolate: Use a 80% and above chocolate. This chocolate will have less sugar, makes for a really luscious bake!
What makes the PERFECT vegan brownie?
Before we get into anything, let’s just talk about what makes for a perfect brownie! There are 5 key points to keep in mind when creating the best brownie EVER:
- A fudgy, gooey centre – Brownies which are crisp on the outside and gooey on the inside are just heavenly!
- Crinkle / shiny top – The iconic shiny crinkle top is how to recognise a brownie in my opinion.
- Rich chocolate flavour – A brownie is all about the chocolate so make sure you’re using high quality chocolate and cocoa powder. It’ll make the brownies absolutely irresistible!
- Sweetness that is balanced by bitter chocolate.
- They’re fool proof – The recipe uses simple ingredients and the easiest method!
Simple ingredients needed to make fudgy healthy vegan brownies:
I’ve listed the ingredients you’ll need to make the most epic vegan brownies below. Jot this list down for your next shopping trip / grocery run. Make sure to see the recipe card for measurements, including the full written recipe and steps.
- Dairy-free dark chocolate (85% or above) – The darker the chocolate, the more intense flavour and lower sugar! I like to use a ultra dark chocolate for best results.
- Dairy-free butter – You’ll want to use a vegan block butter for this recipe. My favourites are Naturli Vegan Block and Flora Plant Butter. Both are great in bakes, and melt easily with a neutral flavour.
- Vegan condensed milk – The condensed milk is essential for a gooey brownie, my favourite is Natures Charm Oat & Coconut Milk and also Carnation do an amazing vegan condensed milk.
- Dark cocoa powder
- Dairy free milk (unsweetened)
- Coconut sugar – Natural sugar with a caramelised flavour and chewy texture, makes for a super decadent brownie!
- Dairy free plain / vanilla yogurt – Use low sugar / natural greek yogurt if you can, it works so good!
- All-purpose / plain flour – As we want the brownies gooey and fudgy, use plain flour. Self raising or any raising agent will make the texture cake like which isn’t what were going for.
- Dairy-free dark chocolate chips
How to make healthy vegan brownies?
This recipe is super quick, easy with minimal ingredients! The full written recipe is in the recipe card at the bottom of the page.
- Wet ingredients
Melt the butter, condensed milk and chocolate together. Mix the sugar, milk and yogurt together. Combine and stir.
- Dry ingredients
In a bowl, sieve the flour and cocoa powder. Fold into the wet, adding in the chocolate chips. Fold until everything is combined.
- Pour into tin
Pour the brownie batter into the tin, using the back of a spoon or spatula to spread it into the edges, making sure it’s even and flat.
Bake in the middle of the oven. Test the brownies have baked with a toothpick test ( details in the recipe card).
Use a sharp knife to cut the brownies into squares, serve and enjoy.
Vegan Brownie FAQ
How to store the brownies?
- These brownies are best stored in a sealed / air tight container at room temperature for the first day then in the fridge. When stored in the fridge, allow the brownies to come to room temperature before enjoying. This’ll warm up the butter, making them fudgy, instead of cold and hard.
How to know when the brownies are ready?
- This brownie recipe will provide you a recommended baking time (for instance, these healthy vegan brownies are baked to perfection after 30 minutes at 180 ºC), but because ovens can differ in temperature and cooking / baking style, I highly recommend doing a skewer / toothpick test. Simply insert a skewer or toothpick into the middle of the brownie for about 3 seconds. Unlike cake and sponges, you actually don’t want the toothpick to come out clean, it should have a-little bit of gooey chocolate, but not completely wet and under-cooked inside!!
What tray to bake the brownies in?
- You’ll want to bake the brownies in a 9×9 inch square tin. This’ll give you a great size and depth! If you use a larger tin, you risk the brownies becoming thinner and crisper. I’ve linked the tin I use here!
Can this recipe be made gluten-free?
- Yes. Switch the flour for a gluten-free based blend. My favourite is the Doves Farm brand! It may be a-little dryer and grainy but it’s still a bloomin’ delicious brownie!!!