These Cherry Bakewell Reindeer Hand Pies make the perfect treat for Christmas. They are vegan, gluten-free and egg-free! A flakey puff pastry is filled with a delicious sweet cherry pie filling, then baked until golden and topped with an almond icing and glaće cherry. How can I forget, they’re also decorated into reindeer with a glaće cherry nose.
Cherry Bakewell Reindeer Hand Pies
You will fall head over heels in love with these cherry bakewell reindeer hand pies, trust me! They are flakey, light, flavourful and super quick and easy to make. They are vegan, gluten-free and egg-free.
Why you’ll love this recipe
- They’re vegan
- They can be made gluten-free
- Easy to make
- Fun to make and decorate
- Minimal prep needed
- Delicious bakewell flavour
- Yummy homemade cherry pie filling is only 4 ingredient
- Only 10 minutes to bake
- Great for kids to decorate
- Fun bake for Christmas
- Great as gifts
What pastry to use?
To make this recipe super quick and easy, I use shop bought puff pastry. I mean, who has the time to make homemade puff pastry at Christmas?! I don’t know about you but I’d rather use shop bought, them have spare time to watch a Christmas film – haha!
My favourite puff pastry is the JusRol Reasy RollPuff Pastry Sheet. It is also vegan friendly. You can also get their gluten-free version which is the one I use for this recipe to make it 100% vegan AND gluten-free!
How to make cherry pie filling
You will jump for joy at the taste of this scrumptious cherry pie filling for these cherry bakewell reindeer hand pies. It’s sweet, juicy and keeps its delicious thickness even when baked!
- You’ll simply add all of the ingredients into a medium sized saucepan and allow to simmer until thickened. You’ll want to stay with the pan and give the mixture a stir every few minutes to prevent any sticking. The mixture will begin to thicken and jellify. It will turn super thick.
- All you’ll need to do once it’s thick, it remove it from the pan and pour into a heat proof bowl to cool down before use. I love this filling so much. It’s versatile and could even be used as a filling for some cupcakes or in the middle of a crumbl cookie.
How to decorate a reindeer pastry
How cute are these pastries.. like seriously. It’s super simple yet effective.
Once the pastries have baked and cooled, you’ll want to make some icing. All the icing sugar, almond and milk into a bowl and mix until thick. The consistency you’re looking for is to be like a thin tooth paste. When it’s on a spoon, it should drizzle into the bowl, not drip.
Remove a tablespoons worth of icing and transfer into a separate bowl, colour this with brown food gel. You could even colour this with cocoa powder. You want a light brown colour. Transfer this into a piping bag and snip off the tip.
Transfer into a piping bag, snip off the tip and pipe the white icing all over the pastries. While the icing is still wet, press on a glaće cherry for the reindeer nose.
Tools you’ll need to make these cherry bakewell hand pies:
This recipe is easy and doesn’t require many tools at all which is always amazing! I have linked the tools I used to help make this recipe below:
Tips and tricks
- Don’t use too much filling. Each hand pie one only needs around a tablespoon of filling. Otherwise it might ooze out the sides of the pastry when baking.
- Remove the pie crust from the fridge 5-10 minutes before rolling. Allowing it come to room temperature softens the pastry so it’s less likely to tear when you roll it.
- Brush the edges of the pastry around the filling with some dairy-free milk before adding on the other pastry shape. This will seal in the filling and prevent any oozing.
- Flavour the icing with some almond extract to give it a classic cherry bakewell flavour.
Is this recipe vegan friendly?
It sure is! The pastry, filing and icing doesn’t require any animal based ingredients. I use a vegan and gluten-free puff pastry from JusRol also. Just make sure to check every single ingredient you use to make sure they are 100% vegan!
Can I make this recipe gluten-free?
YES! The only gluten that would be found in this recipe is the pastry. Thankfully there are gluten-free puff pastry! I use JusRol Ready to roll gluten-free puff pastry. It’s light, flakey and delicious! Again, just triple check all ingredients you use are gluten-free to make sure the recipe is 100% gluten-free.
Can I make this recipe with other flavours of pie filling?
Of course you can! This cherry bakewell hand pie recipe is delicious with just about any flavour pie! Apple, Blackberry, raspberry, peach or even a vegan Nutella would be amazing!
Can you freeze hand pies? Before or after baking?
Yes, this hand pie recipe is freezer friendly. I prefer to freeze them after baking without the icing on, then ice them once they are fully defrosted. Keep frozen and enjoy within 1-2 months.
Can I make fruit hand pies ahead of time?
These cherry hand pies taste best if eaten fresh same day they are made. You can keep them covered at room temperature for the first day. After that, transfer the hand pies into a sealed container in the fridge and store for up to 2-3 days.