This is the easiest way to prepare homemade soft pretzels and the results are delicious. These vegan soft baked vegan pretzels are light and fluffy dough topped with corse. No-egg, no-dairy, made with under 10 ingredients and NO-ONE will be able to tell! Prepared to a traditional method of dunking the pretzels in baking soda before baking, this recipe has it all! Keep reading to learn how to make THE BEST homemade vegan soft pretzels!
Vegan Soft Baked Pretzels
Me and my family recently visited Disneyland Paris and Disney Pars isn’t the best for their vegan options, but they do have one treat we kept going back for and that’s the pretzels. OH MY, there is nothing like walking round the park with a pretzel! Even better…. they were warm! As soon as I got home, i was recipe testing pretzel recipes until I landed on this gem! This recipe is by far the BEST recipe for vegan soft pretzels. They’re soft, chewy, buttery and have the perfect shiny outside, just like a classic pretzel! You have to make them!
Why you need to make this recipe:
- Vegan friendly – This recipe doesn’t contain any animal derived ingredients.
- Minimal ingredients – The pretzels contain less than 10 ingredients!
- Easy to make – Unbelievably pretzels are one of the easiest breaded treats to make (in my opinion). The dough comes together perfectly and they’re easy to make.
- Shaping – This is such a fun recipe. Shaping the pretzels is great fun for all the family, including kids to get involved in.
- Sweet or savoury – These pretzels can be served with a sweet option such as a chocolate spread, cookie butter, or can be savoury with mustard.
How to shape a pretzel?
Once you have the dough ready, now heres the fun part.. THE SHAPING! I love shaping pretzels, they’re one of my favourite yeasted dough bakes to work with. The dough is soft and sticky, perfect for shaping!!!! Let me show you how it’s done:
- Roll: Roll a ball of the dough on a lightly floured work surface. You want to use your palms to roll this into a rope, approximately 20 inch in length. Shape the rope into a letter U.
- Twist: Once you have the U shape, cross the two ends of the rope, placing one over the other, then twist them around each other once. Bring the ends down to the bottom of the U and gently pressing them to stick.
- Gently place them on grease proof paper, ready for the baking soda bath.
How to prepare the baking soda bath:
One of the most important steps of making pretzels is the baking soda bath. This helps to enable a golden colour, chewy texture and the classic pretzels look & taste!
- In a large bowl, add in the water and bicarbonate of soda. Give this a good stir together, place over heat and bring to a boil. Allow this to cool down until warm.
- Place in the pretzels in small batches in the soda solution for about 20-30 seconds, submerging them in the water. Proceed to sprinkle with salt and bake!
How to make Vegan Soft Pretzels
You are going to absolutely love making homemade pretzels. They’re one of those bakes where when you know how to make them, you’ll be making them for every event, gather or get-together! They’re absolutely delicious. Find the full written recipe and method with ingredients in the recipe card at the bottom of the page.
- Make the dough
Add all of the ingredients into a bowl and knead until smooth and elastic.
Place into a oiled bowl, cover and place somewhere warm until doubled in size.
Once doubled, turn out on a floured worktop, divide, roll into logs, shape.
- Baking soda bath
Add water and bicarbonate of soda in a bowl, dunk in each pretzel, place on a tray lined with grease proof paper and sprinkle over salt.
Bake until golden, remove from the oven and brush over the butter and maple syrup glaze. Serve and enjoy!
Homemade vegan soft baked pretzels are easily customised. For those who love the traditional salted version, follow the recipe as it is. If you’re in the mood for something a-little sweet i’ve listed a few options you might like to try below.
- Leave off the salt, and serve the plain pretzel with a vegan chocolate spread or cookie butter for dipping.
- Brush the pretzels with butter after baking and sprinkle over cinnamon sugar.
- Drizzle melted chocolate over the pretzels and top with some chopped nuts.
- Brush over vegan friendly pesto, and sprinkle over dairy-free cheese. You can even add on some jalapeños.
- Brush the pretzels with butter after baking and coat in caster / a fine white sugar.