Fudgy and rich vegan mint chocolate brownies layered with a sweet mint chocolate chip cream filling, topped with a simple chocolate ganache. The classic mint chocolate combination!
Vegan Mint Chocolate Brownies
If I know one thing about you guys, it’s that you LOVE brownies! You’ll absolutely love these brownies because they’re the perfect mixture between fudgey and crisp with a crinkle top. They’re the BEST vegan brownie recipe you’ll try and once you’ve made them for yourself, you’ll definitely agree with me!
These classic mint chocolate brownies are made completely from scratch! No brownie mix or shop bought frosting in sight. Baking brownies from scratch isn’t difficult at all! In fact, the brownie and mint chocolate chip cream filling are extremely quick and easy to make and doesn’t require many ingredients. You’ll be hyped with this recipe, trust me!
What make’s this the BEST vegan brownie?
My brownies are not only vegan and scrumptious, but they are really easy to make! You only need a handful of ‘easy to find’ ingredients to make this recipe. Not only that, but you’ll only need a few simple techniques as-well.
- Whipping the aquafaba and sugar together for the brownie which helps with the super smooth, crinkly top. Whipping the aquafaba helps create a light texture, while giving your that classic crinkle brownie top.
- Melting the butter and chocolate together for pouring over the aquafaba mixture. Adding melted chocolate (along with the melted butter) into the brownie makes them insanely delicious! It makes them even more fudgy.
- Pouring the batter into the tin and spreading it out with an off set spatula create a flat and even brownie which is the perfect base for the mint cream filling.
Looking for more chocolate treats? Check out my Vegan Shortbread Brownies, No-Bake Vegan Chocolate Cheesecakes, Vegan Baked Chocolate Cheesecake, The BEST Gluten-free Vegan Chocolate Cake, Vegan Flourless Chocolate Cake, Vegan Brownie Cookies and Classic Vegan Brownies.
Ingredients you’ll need:
Here’s a list of ingredients you’ll need to make these vegan mint chocolate brownies. You can find the recipe card at the bottom of this post for the complete list, amounts and method.
- Cocoa powder – Use a high quality cocoa powder.
- Plain flour – You can use all purpose flour or a gluten-free blend.
- Dairy-free dark chocolate – I like to use a 70% or above dark chocolate for this recipe. It creates a richer flavoured brownie.
- Dairy-free block butter – Use room temperature vegan block butter. I like to use Naturli Vegan Block.
- Aquafaba (chickpea brine) – Use the water from a can of chickpeas. This acts as the ‘egg’ in the recipe to create the crinkle on top of the brownie.
- Caster sugar – Caster sugar, a white sugar or golden caster sugar works fabulous in this recipe.
- Peppermint extract – Adding a drop of peppermint extract to the brownie helps to flavour this dessert even more. If you don’t want to add peppermint into the brownie, substitute it with vanilla extract or vanilla bean paste.
- Dairy-free chocolate chips – Brownies have to be loaded with chocolate, that includes chocolate chips. Stir chocolate chips into the batter before baking. This will make the brownie melt in your mouth!
Mint chocolate chip cream:
- Dairy-free block butter
- Icing sugar – Icing sugar will help sweeten the filling.
- Peppermint flavouring
- Green food gel – In order to create a bright green filling, you’ll want to use a green colouring. I choose food gel as you only need a tiny am to create a vivid colour. Also, as you only use a tiny bit of food gel, it doesn’t effect the bake unlike a liquid food colour which can alter textures.
- Dairy-free milk – If you’re nut-free, use an oat or soya milk. If you’re gluten-free, use nut based milks or soya milk. Make sure to check all ingredients if you do have allergies.
- Dairy-free chocolate chips
- Dairy-free chocolate chips
- Dairy-free cream – You can use a vegan / dairy-free single or doulbe cream, aswell as coconut cream.
How to make mint chocolate brownies
- Brownie base
Mix all of the ingredients together, pour into a lined tin and bake.
- Cream filling
Whip all of the ingredients togehter, spread over the cooled brownie and chill.
- Chocolate ganache
Melt the ganache and pour over the chilled mint filling. Chill, slice and serve.
3 layers of mint chocolate brownies
Chocolate brownie :
These chocolate brownies are extremely rich and chocolatey with cocoa powder and melted chocolate. They’re the perfect taste and texture combination for the base of these bars.
Mint chocolate chip cream:
If you love mint chocolate chip ice-cream, you’ll be hooked on these bars. The filling tastes exactly like mint chocolate chip ice-cream, loaded with peppermint flavours and lots of delicious chocolate chips. It’s even coloured mint green with edible food gel. The green contracts against the brown brownie and ganache perfectly creating a visually appealing mint chocolate treat!
The chocolate layer on top is a silky chocolate ganache. Mixing chocolate and cream makes for the most delicious, quick and easy ganache which is simply poured over the filing and chilled to set. Simply combine the chocolate with dairy-free cream allow to melt them pour over the brownie. Using a ganache allows the chocolate topping to set softer, as opposed to a hard, heavy chocolate layer on top. The soft chocolate is easier to cut without messing up the mint chocolate chip cream underneath.
How to store?
Chocolate mint brownies taste best when they are room temperature or just ever so slightly chilled!
Store them in the fridge in a sealed container for about 4-5 days. Let them sit at room temperature for around 10-15 minutes before serving.
To freeze brownies, wrap them individually in grease proof paper or in a sealed container, then simply place into the freezer. Allow to fully defrost before enjoying.