This Vegan Chocolate Ombré Mousse Cake is the ultimate chocolate dessert. Fudgey chocolate brownie is topped with a chocolate ombré mousse. Vegan, no-egg, no-dairy and easy to make.
This creamy dessert has been made in collaboration with The Coconut Collabrative. All opinions expressed in this post are my own. (For more information along with affiliated links, check out my disclosure policy.)
Chocolate Ombré Mousse Cake
This triple chocolate mousse cake is a delicious combination of chocolate brownie and creamy ombré chocolate mousse, in cake form. Smooth and creamy layers of mousse on top of a rich, chewy brownie, it’s good beyond words! Cut yourself a slice and take a bite into chocolate cream heaven… perfect if you’re craving chocolate! It’s sure to tingle your taste buds!
Layers of a vegan chocolate ombré mousse cake
This dessert might look tricky to make, but it is possibly the easiest dessert you can make.
- Firstly is the brownie – This brownie is filled with melted dairy-free chocolate, along with tones of cocoa powder making it super rich and indulgent. It also has a mix of light brown and white sugar to make it chewy and flavourful.
- Next up is the mousse layers – The mousse is four layers going from a dark chocolate mousse to whipped vanilla cream. It’s made using melted dairy-free chocolate alongside the BEST vegan cream double cream from The Coconut Collaborative. This cream is thick, creamy and whips up to stiff peaks, which is crucial for this dessert. If you were to use a single cream or poor quality cream, it won’t hold it’s shape or create the right mousse like texture!
- Cocoa topping – To finish off the dessert and to add even more chocolate to this spectacular dessert, add a dusting of cocoa powder. The richer and darker, the deeper the flavour it will add to the overall dessert. I recommend fine dark cocoa powder.
What cream works best for a mousse cake?
It goes without saying, the cream is the star of the show with this dessert. The light, creamy and airy mousse texture comes from whipping melted chocolate into thick whipped cream. My all time favourite vegan / dairy-free cream is The Coconut Collaborative Double Cream. This cream is absolutely phenomenal! It’s ultra thick, creamy and whips up to soft and firm peaks! It holds it’s shape when piped and even at room temperature!
This cream vegan, gluten-free and heat-stable. It’s wonderfully whippable, simply add it into a stand mixer with balloon whisk attachment and watch it double in size and become the best whipping cream EVER! You can even whip it up in a bowl with an electric or a hand held whisk! It’s personally the only cream I would recommend for this dessert. If you are unable to get your hands on it, you want to make sure the dairy-free cream you are using is stable. The stability in the cream allows for the mousse to hold it’s shape when chilled and to cut into slices!
How to assemble a vegan chocolate Ombré mousse cake:
Once the brownie base is baked and cooled, it’s time to build up the triple chocolate layers of the mousse cake. The brownie is baked in an 8 inch loose base / spring form cake tin. I recommend a deep / high sided cake tin so that the sides are higher and will allow for a taller dessert. To build it in your tin, you’ll want to line the base and sides of the tin with some grease-proof paper so that nothing sticks. I typically put a cake circle in the bottom of the tin and cut strips and stick them to the sides of the tin using some dairy-free butter. When the dessert is chilled and firm to the touch, all you have to do it push up the tin and peel away the paper, it’s as easy as that!
The mousse cake is built in a few parts so that the layers can firm up before adding the next. The darkest mousse layer is added to the top of the brownie first, then allowed to firm a bit. Next is the lighter chocolate mousse, followed by a little wait time, then the white whipped cream. Once the whole cake is firm, you’re ready to serve. I topped the dessert with a light dusting of cocoa powder. You could even serve it with some chopped / grated chocolate!
How to make a ombre mousse cake?
- Start by preparing the brownie
Mix the flaxseed with water together then set aside for 5 minutes until thick and gelatinous. This makes the vegan egg replacement. Next mix the butter, sugars and flax ‘egg’ in a bowl. Add in the cocoa powder, baking powder and flour. Mix until a thick batter
Line an 8” loose base / push up can tin with grease-proof paper. Add the brownie batter into the tin and level out. Bake.
Melt the chocolate and butter together. Whisk the cream in a stand mixer until thick and creamy.
- Ombré mousse
Divide the cream into 4 separate bowls, add in the chocolate going from darker to lighter. Layer the mousse on top of the brownie base, chilling each layer before adding the next on top.
- Serve and enjoy
Serve with a dusting of cocoa powder, cut the mousse cake with a sharp flat knife, slice and enjoy.
Chocolate Ombrè Mousse Cake FAQ
Can this be made gluten-free?
- You can swap the flour in the brownie base for a high quality gluten-free flour. The only change, it might not hold together as well, but it will still taste absolutely delicious!
Why didn’t my mousse set?
- The main cause is not having the right cream. The cream you use is crucial to a mousse texture which sets firm. The ONLY cream I would recommend for this recipe is The Coconut Collaborative Double Cream. This is the thickest dairy-free / vegan cream and it’s delicious!
How do I store this dessert?
- You want to keep the mousse chilled, so store in a air tight / sealed container in the fridge. Enjoy directly from the fridge.
How to get even layers of mousse?
- In order to get clean, clear layers of chocolate mousse, you want to chill each layer before adding the next on top.
Cutting the mousse?
- You’ll want to use a sharp flat knife to slice this cake into servings. Don’t use a scerated knife of it could catch on the brownie base and create lines throughout the mousse slice. You can also gently heat up the flat knife in some warm water, wipe clean then cut. This will result in super neat slices.